[Squeak Installer] The Compiler, The Final Frontier(?)

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at home.com
Sun Aug 26 19:36:48 UTC 2001

Hi Mark,

    Thanks for your reply. I am sorry that I could not get back to you
sooner. I was dragged to a camp, no, not Camp Smalltalk ;-), but there were
some small talks among the better halves and bigger talks (even swearing
when a big fish got off the hook, we went fishing) among the fishers.

    [BIG snip on helpful detailed instructions for playing with a Smalltalk
compiler]

    I am saving your notes for a later stage. Right now it would be very
inappropriate for a Squeak newbie to try this stunt even in the basement ,
implementing a Squeak compiler for the washing machine, let alone
implementing it for the Squeak Installer publicly on The Squeak List.

    However, this does not rule out the possibilities that I will keep
looking around for codes to steal ;-) for this compiler. This is exactly how
I got MobVM. The codes were stolen from Andreas' Windows VM  distribution
(BIG THANKS ,  Andreas). Most of the things were already there and pretty
modular at that. All I did was shufling them, rearanging them around the
plugin proxies and add some glue to hold them together. It was a joy to work
with his codes.

    I am setting my eyes on GNU Smalltalk. Does it have a compiler outside
of the image ? How compatible is it to Squeak compiler ? What's involved to
make it work for Squeak ?

    On the other hand, someone may come up with a scheme to bootstrap Squeak
that do not need this compiler out of the image at all. That would make me a
lot happier (I can stop that bad habit of stealing codes ;-)

    Once again, your help is very much appreciated.

    Cheers,

    PhiHo