[newbie] new look, scrollbars, mouse wheel, diff, searching

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Aug 27 18:07:29 UTC 2001

On Sunday 26 August 2001 06:41 pm, Simon Michael wrote:

> mouse wheel
> -----------
> On my secondary, windows pc, the mousewheel makes scrollbars less
> important and makes a huge difference in usability. I have a working
> mousewheel on the linux box but have not yet seen it work in
> squeak. It would be really nice to have this, should look into it.

>From time to time I post a patch to the list to add mouse wheel support to
the Unix version, but it never seems to find its way into the source (it's
not in Ian's 3.1a-4164 sources). You can probably find it in the list
archives, or contact me directly.

> diff
> ? question: what's the best way to avoid spurious pretty-print diffs ?
> Pointers to past discussion/faqs also appreciated.

Turn on the "diffsWithPrettyPrint" preference; this runs both sides through a
format before comparing them. That's why I added it.

> searching
> ---------
> Searched the squeak wiki/mailing list/faq for info on the above, no
> luck. Found that the searchable mailing list archive (not the
> yahoogroups one) stalls in my browser, though I can squeeze out a few
> results if I let it run then press stop. Search expression syntax
> unclear here and apparently nonexistent at yahoogroups, so tried
> Google. Yes!! They seem to have indexed both the yahoo archive and the
> swiki, so this should be my new first stop for squeak answers.  Must
> figure out google's host-specifying syntax again, maybe make some
> custom search forms.

By adding the site:groups.yahoo.com and inurl:squeak you can restrict to the
list messages: