[newbie] my setup, updating

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Mon Aug 27 18:06:00 UTC 2001

Simon Michael wrote:

> John Hinsley <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk> writes:
> > What window manager are you using? I know that on a P333 with 128Mb
> > I can run Squeak at -memory 60m without getting into problems (any
> > more and it'll compete with KDE and whatever else I have running and
> > slow down!).
>
> KDE/kwin. It seems like X takes 30, konqueror takes 30, xemacs takes
> 20, and I'm always into swap. So memory is scarce (what's new).  Your
> data point is helpful. I can fit another 32m in this box and it sounds
> like the time has come.

You might like to try a more lightweight window manager -- I hear good
things about Sawfish, but I've yet to try it: you should still be able
to call your k applications from it. I hesitate to suggest this -- *nix
folk are usually ridgidly divided into those who like emacs or vim --
but xemacs is one hungry bunny! You might like to try gvim instead (I
recommend building from source and building it against GTK: while it
will build against lots of other widget sets, it now depends on GTK for
some elements of its functionality. http://www.vim.org)

Cheers

John

--
Can't cope anymore? Desperate for help?
Join the 12 step program for those who yearn to give up Microsoft: