(no subject)

John M McIntosh johnmci at mac.com
Mon Aug 27 11:49:50 UTC 2001

>Hi John,
>
>     Thanks for your report, I am looking forward for  the next installment.
>If it is not too much trouble for you, would you please try to get an answer
>for the following question:
>
>     Now, that Web Service can deliver compiled modules in either
>CompiledMethod (?) format or ImageSegment format. Which one would be more
>preferrable, simpler for the ModuleManger in creating a bootstrap image ?
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     PhiHo

I talked to the Web Services group about this. Web services is a
complex interface. Joseph work is focused on having a lightweight
bootstrap image which would have a minimum socket interface with a
minimal protocol which would allow you just to interchange requests
and receive back data say byte codes from a compiler, or say an
independent grammar or SIF which you compile. I would think you could
also fetch back DLLs and install them as you integrate services into
your image. the web services folks felt yes you could do this via web
services server, but it's a very heavy weight client, there are
simpler choices, er a DB2 interface for example. Remember Joseph work
only defines how an image is build from the definitions, the storage
and retrieval of this data is not work he is tackling, beyond a
simple socket or file system support

Today I did sit with him and we worked on getting a squeak image to
read a SIF stream from a socket and compile and execute that stream
using a semantic model. The stream came from either VisualAge or
VisualWorks, later today we will have the visualAge and VisualWorks
images act as the receiver of the stream and the compiler.