[ANN] SWT 0.6 released

Andres Valloud sqrmax at prodigy.net
Tue Aug 28 15:56:49 UTC 2001

Hi.

> I had the same problem, Les (notice the timestamp).  It looks like
> the Module and SemanticModel code is missing from this image and
> repository.  At one point Paul had said that that was evolving
> separately.

Well... you'd need to ask Paul to find out what's going on.

> Andres, what are allowable things to load here?

Whatever you want :).

> What do you do when developing?

Since modules don't work yet, what I do is I very carefully work with
changesets, and when I am done I generate a single one and declare it a
module, put it in the repository, go from there.  As usual, it's good to
check Undeclared and to make sure everything compiles from source code
after you're done.  The  expressions that can be useful to do this stuff
are in the Grooming page of the Script Manager.

> The image is tight!  It has lost the VMConstruction stuff as well
> as Balloon3D and much other stuff.

The idea behind this is that the VM construction stuff, and/or VMMaker,
would be a module loadable upon request.  Same with Balloon3D or
anything else.

> [Bad]
> Missing SemanticModel.  We like it, we love it,
> we want more of it! :)

Well... we'll have to ask Paul or Joseph :).

> [Ugly]
> The UI is now outdated.

I guess that you could improve it.  But so that you know, the fonts
don't have any license (as opposed to Squeak), and the XML GUI builder
should work both on Morphic and MVC.

> Do you have scripts that will allow us to take the
> latest and greatest image and strip it down to it's fur?

I don't think it's a good idea, anyway.  I think it's much better to do
it once (and only once), do it really well (no undeclareds, all source
code can be recompiled without problems, no obsolete classes, etc), and
from then on just put modules into the repository when you want new
stuff.

Incidentally, those scripts never existed.  We had to do it manually for
the most part, and it was a lot of work!

Andres.