[ANN] SWT 0.6 released

Withers, Robert rwithers at quallaby.com
Wed Aug 29 14:47:12 UTC 2001

Hola Andres!

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andres Valloud [mailto:sqrmax at prodigy.net]

[snip]

> > What do you do when developing?

Ok, and you load anything and everything but the SIFConfig, which depends on
the Module/SemanticModel being around.  Thanks for the pointer to the
Grooming page.

> > The image is tight!  It has lost the VMConstruction stuff as well
> > as Balloon3D and much other stuff.
>
> The idea behind this is that the VM construction stuff,
> and/or VMMaker,
> would be a module loadable upon request.  Same with Balloon3D or
> anything else.

yep, and by extension to what other folks have been doing, the Networking,
Morphic, MVC, etc. would all be external modules/components too.

> > [Bad]
> > Missing SemanticModel.  We like it, we love it,
> > we want more of it! :)
>
> Well... we'll have to ask Paul or Joseph :).

I have and they are working on it.  :)

> > [Ugly]
> > The UI is now outdated.
>
> I guess that you could improve it.  But so that you know, the fonts
> don't have any license (as opposed to Squeak), and the XML GUI builder
> should work both on Morphic and MVC.

Yep.  The XMLUIBuilder is cool technology.  However, a lot of work has
occurred since the initial 3.1a image came out.  The 3.1a environment looks
great!!!!!

> > Do you have scripts that will allow us to take the
> > latest and greatest image and strip it down to it's fur?
>
> I don't think it's a good idea, anyway.  I think it's much
> better to do
> it once (and only once), do it really well (no undeclareds, all source
> code can be recompiled without problems, no obsolete classes,
> etc), and
> from then on just put modules into the repository when you want new
> stuff.

I would disagree, although your next paragraph puts it in a different light.
The fact is that there are 4 - 5 other people doing this same exercise right
now.  All it is is an evolving stripper script, including code to address
Undeclared, Obsolete and so on.  I'm sure you *want* people kicking the
tires and checking the engine.  This includes prepping a release image...

> Incidentally, those scripts never existed.  We had to do it
> manually for
> the most part, and it was a lot of work!

yes.  Isn't a large part of that work, 'modularizing' the base classes to
remove methods that are used by a stripped framework?

Over the next week, I will produce a version of my code that runs on your
new events.  I don't know the story with exceptions - sorry, dude.   :)

later,
Rob