[Biosqueak] The germ of an idea

David M. Siegel dsiegel at acm.org
Fri Aug 31 20:24:31 UTC 2001

At 09:42 PM 8/30/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm not sure I fully understand people's interests here & I'm not sure
>I'm knowledgeable enough to form my questions well.
>--Concerning speed: I'd expect the direction here needs to be more
>architectural than language specific. C on the fastest machines
>available next few years is not close the speed need for many problems.

Couldn't the Squeak CCodeGenerator be leveraged?
Smalltalk's been used for distributed processing before.
I'm thinking about using Squeak to model a processing architecture,
then using it to generate custom low-level processing code, then using it
to coordinate the distribution of data and processing across a farm of
machines,
where the low-level processing occurs in custom-generated C accessed from
a Squeak supervisor.

I _don't_ think this is the place to start, but I think it's a strategy that
can be used down the line to provide support for large-scale problems.

-dms