SUnit Testing merged with Examples for Methods

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Sat Dec 1 03:17:33 UTC 2001

> [ ] In classic SUnits, there is a separate 'testing class' for each
> class in Squeak.  This would double the number of classes, and is too
> much overhead.  I have created a new subclass of TestCase that owns a
> Verifier.  Verifier is a subclass MessageSend that holds the answer
> that the method is supposed to produce.

Was it intended that a testing class exist for every other class in the
system?  Most uses of Sunit that I've seen will have a TestCase class
for a subsystem, not an individual class.  For example, with Kats, I
have a suite of 45 tests in one class that exercises the classes and
protocols designed for use by the users of Kats.  I don't usually
directly test the classes and protocols that are internal to a package,
those will get tested indirectly via the tests of the public interface
of the package.  Of course, it doesn't hurt to have tests for
everything.

It sounds like this enhancement will make it much easier to add tests to
a system.  I can't wait to try it out.

- Stephen