Release 3.1 or 3.2?

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Sat Dec 1 16:27:22 UTC 2001

People are usually interested in two things - the new cool version
(definitely majority of list participants) and a recent version that's
known good.

The new cool version is easy to locate - just d/l anything, and then
update it. Under the snapshot regime, we would have this available less
of the time. To me the fact that there's always something happening is
very cool.

OTOH, making the current newest a snapshot will not work that well for
getting a stable version - stability comes from testing. Like you say,
we don't have enough feedback from active stable-version users to make
"stable means well-tested" mean anything.

A cheap mans version we could have is this - have a bleeding edge
version, with everything that's out, just like now. Other than that,
alway maintain a pointer to some past version, that experience has shown
to be stable. By this I mean you'd never say "here you go, this new
version is stable, we really got 'em all this time", you'd just
retroactively say, "yup, 7684 was when all the semi-dynamic-synheritance
trouble began. 7683 was pretty stable though...".

OTGH, when we have modules, we might find that things run significantly
differently than now, so making a new scheme might be useless.

Just my 2 cents.
Daniel