the Jpeg plugin and all that.....

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 6 18:33:50 UTC 2001

John Hinsley <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk> wrote:
> Lex Spoon wrote:
> >
> > Okay, I've taken a try at compiling the new plugin this on Unix.  The
> > main error is that I'm missing some error_exit function.  Where's it
> > come from?  This is with libjpeg 6.2.
>
> My _guess_ is that the libraries might be critical. Why not try it with
> the jpeg-6b which JMV uses?

Well, my system has jpeg 6.2 installed as default.  I'll try again with
6b at some point, unless someone beats me to it.   (What a strange
numbering scheme, btw!).

> These, at least, compile easy peasy for me
> on Linux (don't you just love autoconf? -- using it rather than writing
> it!)

Actually, autoconf drives me nuts.  It's friend libtool *really* drives
me nuts.  Both of them either work the first time and produce something
reasonable, or they crash horribly and leave you with reams of shell
code to debug.  For a quick example: it can be tough to convince the
main Squeak/Unix release to use "gnuify" your interp.c on some
computers, because the autoconf scripts will often mis-detect whether
GNU awk is available or not.  If you're on such a computer, it's really
irritating trying to trick autoconf into detecting what you want it to
detect.

-Lex