Interval translator (was: Re: Sharp Zaurus SL-5000D Linux (Squeak?) PDA)

Travis Griggs tgriggs at keyww.com
Fri Dec 7 01:20:42 UTC 2001

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Marcus Denker <marcus at ira.uka.de> is widely believed to have written:
>

>>Smalltalk/X uses a "code pointer". This contains the adress of some runtime
>>genated code or a pointer to some code compiled with gcc (for Primitives or
>>statically compiled methods with the smalltalk-to-c compiler).
>>
> Mmm, is it just the one pointer? What happens with a primitive _and_
> translated Smalltalk backup code? Or is that not allowed?

Don't know if I understand the context completely... ST/X doesn't have
primitives. It just has inline C code. Want to see how integers added in
the browser? You just browse to that method and there the
C/Smalltalk/assembler is! Want to look at how Object>>basicNew works? Go
for it. What's more (and not even Squeak can do this one). Want to
change the way basicNew work (say, add an extra byte to every object
header and printf the address of each new object). Make the change and
hit accept button. Realtime, right there, it happens.

--
Travis Griggs
Member: 3rd Boolean State Software Collective