Silence wanted (Silly newbie question)

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma at info.unicaen.fr
Fri Dec 7 10:04:29 UTC 2001

I have recently reinstalled 3.0 on SuSe 7.
I launched Squeak on one window, and a MP3 (KDE) player elsewhere, and on
the surface of Squeak I decided to get rid of the rodent face, its eyes
make me nervous...
As you know, it dies with a specific sound. Apparently it could not die
in an elegant manner because sound resources were not available, so as a blind
vengeance it blocked the application. Nothing worked anymore.

(One of my students reported that under Windows NT the application window
in such circumstances behaves as a textual console writing some unpleasant
messages, but the system continues to work...)

Any suggestions? I am almost sure that the sound service of my Linux is the
responsible for the mess, but for the moment I might try to find a replacement
solution. For example to kill the sounds in Squeak, I don't really need them
*now*. Where can I do that? Somewhere near AbstractSound/SequentialSound? Or
where else? Thanks.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France