Problem

Henrik Gedenryd h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk
Fri Dec 7 10:23:00 UTC 2001

>> 1)Start an image from a text file script.
>> 2)File in a class definition and **overwrite** an
>> existing class definition
>> 3)Re-initialize the environment.
>>
>> In a few words, I need to (ahem!) *fix* my image
>> (obviously I have no backup!) because I broke
>> something in class Color so the display is...  You
>> kinda see!
>>
>> In the worst case, is there any way to retrieve the
>> changes from the .changes file from another image ?
>
> Hopefully others will chime in here, but ...
>
> 1.  There USED to be a mechanism that read in a .so file if present to do
> exactly this kind of thing.  It was in the method readDocumentFile, but I now
> find there only the comment
> "No longer used. Everything is now done in ProjectLauncher."
> So I think PL might be useful if you can get some help on how to do what you
> want (Michael...?).

Now being able to intercept image startup at a _very_ early point is clearly
a generally useful feature to have in such dire situations. So if it is not
there now we'd probably want to put it in there. The point is that once
you've broken the image, the ability to patch it needs to already be in the
image, so having a change set around won't help you then...

That's just my thoughts on this anyway.

Henrik