Morphic - any real documentation

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Fri Dec 7 16:44:44 UTC 2001

On 7 Dec 2001, V Yurkovksy wrote:

> Is there an actual Morphic manual, describing the widgets available, the
> structure of the Morphic framework, etc. for straight programming (not
> scripting)?  All I found are first step-type tutorials, mostly script
> oriented.  Any help appreciated.

There is some, but unfortunately, not too much.  There are some projects
on the SuperSwiki, in particular TableLayout:
<http://209.143.91.36/super/gallery1>

Some introductory archetecture stuff:
<http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1285>

Most importantly, and I'm sure others will agree, is that the Browser is
the best documentation.  Don't take that to mean that there is a lot of
documentation attached to classes in the class comment, rather, it means
to look at the Morphic catagories, the classes therein and their methods,
as well as small Morphic apps.

I was really annoyed when first learning Morphic by this lack of "real"
documentation.  The only GUI toolkit prior to Morphic I've ever programmed
for was Swing, which had docs.  In the begining you have to learn the
hard way, but later down the road, it'll seem like it was worth it.  When
it clicks, it clicks.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "if i don't stay true to live and hate, how do i differentiate
              between chasing cream and chasing dreams"  :: atmosphere