Interval translator (was: Re: Sharp Zaurus SL-5000D Linux (Squeak?) PDA)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Dec 7 17:39:12 UTC 2001

On Friday 07 December 2001 08:56 am, Travis Griggs wrote:

> In a way, I think that's too bad. I'm trying to remember the last time
> in 10 years I actually took advantage of xplatform image portability. I
> can remember two cases. I've done it many more times than that, but
> usually just for a "isn't that cool" grin.

I spent 5 years or so doing embedded systems in Smalltalk where we'd develop
a program in VisualWorks on x86/Windows machines and move the image unchanged
to the target machines, which were running under vxWorks and could have any
processor we wanted.

It was essential to us to be able to do this.

In Squeak I do this for developing programs for my WinCE device, which runs
really slowly and has a tiny screen.

You've just got to get out of the desktop/server paradigm...

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com