Silence wanted (Silly newbie question)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 7 21:26:15 UTC 2001

Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:

> So I take it that other (non-Squeak) Linux applications also generally crash when trying to play sounds with a typical (non-NAS) sound driver setup?  (or whatever setup causes Squeak to crash)  Or is this just a Squeak thing?

Right, it affects all programs.

By the way, they aren't crashing -- just waiting for the sound to become
available.  If you exit the program that is using the sound device, then
the next program in line should procede.

> I'm just wondering if there's any way that Squeak could at least fail silently rather than crash in this situation.  It seems a bit ridiculous that it's this easy for a newbie to crash Squeak on Linux.

Yep, it sucks.  We should all be using sound servers, anyway, and the
major distributions seem to be moving slowly in that direction.

I don't know why the sound drivers do what they do here -- blocking
until the device is available is rarely going to be helpful, as far as I
can imagine.

-Lex