New VM in progress

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Sat Dec 8 02:32:33 UTC 2001

Wow! Any performance numbers? I know microbenchmarks are not necessarily
the best predictors of real performance, but how does your VM do on:

  0 tinyBenchmarks

compared to a stock, non-Jitter Squeak VM on the same platform? Given your
stack architecture, your VM should be significantly faster on message sends. It's
kind of cool to use real objects for stack segments versus the VM context cache
often used in high performance Smalltalk VM's. You should save the cost of
context cache flushes/reloads. I assume the VM still handle "thisContext", since
you've got the debugger working.

It's great to see some serious VM experiementation going on...

	-- John