Interval translator (was: Re: Sharp Zaurus SL-5000D Linux (Squeak?) PDA)

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Sun Dec 9 19:26:49 UTC 2001

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 08:56:33AM -0800, Travis Griggs wrote:

> In a way, I think that's too bad. I'm trying to remember the last time
> in 10 years I actually took advantage of xplatform image portability. I
> can remember two cases. I've done it many more times than that, but
> usually just for a "isn't that cool" grin. I've got two platforms
> (Squeak and VW) that have xplatform binary portability. If Claus does
> this I'll have three, but (IMO) the _best_ Smalltalk for looking at
> image/VM interaction/coupling will no longer be. Sad.

Non, No! The primitves would only be an *execution* facility inside
the VM. There shouldn't be any changes for the programmer at all.
(I'm really bad in explaining things... sorry).
Important: *NO* "<primitive 123>. It will look the same like now, you
will be able to change these kind of messages in the running system.
It will only be portable. You can think about it as some kind of
"late binding" of all native methods that are compiled statically inside
the VM.

         Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeakland.org