[ALL Concerned]: supporting the addition of change and the harvesters

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Dec 9 21:12:01 UTC 2001

Hi great contributors of Squeak,

You wrote a nice fix or a beautiful enhancement and you are wondering why
hell these wondeful changes have not yet been included in the main
distribution......

Your changes may break something or may be broken by somebody else
enhancements.....

So write simple SUnit tests, so that harvesters have an easier job:

    - the test should show how to use your extensions, or
    - how it improves the situation,
    - then you will have a better chance to see the harvesters going faster,
    - then we will see that the identification of bugs will become easier
    after a while
    - writing SUnit tests for a big system like squeak is impossible today,
    but if we write test one at a time, we will end up having tests ;).
    and writing tests is like puttin money on a good bank account, it pay
    off, the more you put the better you get.

Think that the guy that is trying to understand what you made would love to
be sure that your code is not breaking something else (Doug I think that you
have all the time this kind of question, isn't?), or at least he can
understand your fix.

Stef

PS: Everybody knows that regression tests are interesting. I can tell you
that I cannot describe the feelign I got when I change something big in our
system and I run the tests got some red and after 2 hours get the all green
again. I think that this is something internal that I wish everybody to
experience.