New VM in progress

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Sun Dec 9 22:50:14 UTC 2001

Tim,

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de> is widely believed to have written:
>
> > > Sounds like it ought to be easy to merge with the changes I did for the
> > > conversion of methods to regular object from the current mixed byte/oop
> > > monsters there are now.
> >
> > this sound great, too! Any timeline?
> Well, the first working version was released I think three years ago?

Sorry, I didn't know that. This sounds greater!

> It's been on the list of official projects for probably two years, but
> requires the willingness to make a break in the image format to become
> the release version.

I understand this as: you have finished your work regarding this official
project and it *could* be closed as finished *now*.

> Maybe when considered with al the other changes
> that seem to be piling up it will at last be practical?

Together with BlockClosures and the big changes around this shouldn't be a
problem IMO.

What about reaching backwards compatibility to older images by making an
easy - ideally for people not being developers - to use oldImageFormat ->
newImageFormat converter?
Do you see - regarding your changes - any principal or practical (e.g.
effort) problems here? Or do you already have such a beast?

Greetings,

Stephan

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)