fetchClassOf & commonSend?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Dec 11 19:21:45 UTC 2001

Marcel Weiher wrote:

> On Dienstag, Dezember 11, 2001, at 06:21  Uhr, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
> > Also 161 million calls to ioMSecs or 272,923 calls per second! but I
> > need to investigate that more...
>
> That's the primitive code figuring out wether to check for interrupts or
> something.
I suggested a way to avoid most of those calls some time ago; for many
primitives we can be pretty sure they will take very little time and
could thus not bother with the time check. Some other prims can take a
wide range of times and thus ought to be quickly checked, while still
others (pretty much anything to do with outside connectivity, files etc)
would probably be reasonably assumed to be always take a long time.

I suppose a pragma-like statement like the inlining statement could be
used to mark prims for their status, and a default (for backwards
compatible safety) would be to assume a long prim.

Ought to be fairly simple to implement.

tim