New VM in progress

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Dec 13 19:38:50 UTC 2001

"Stephen Pair" <spair at advantive.com> is widely believed to have written:

> > > * Instance based prototyping patches                Yes? No?
> > Hmm. Not a fan of instance based, but Rob Withers and I got a
> > simple demo hack for something like this working at oopsla
> > this year. Well, delegation, anyway. Or something. Rob? Stop
> > me before  gibber too much...
>
> What did you guys do on this?  I think instance based stuff is important
> for non-developer types...most people don't look at the world in terms
> of a class hierarchy.  Have you seen http://spair.swiki.net/delegation
> ...it's got some useful stuff regarding mirrors and reflection (along
> with primitives to support such).
I have to admit I really can't remember what it was for anymore! We
managed to do some dreadful hack that (ab)used the facility already in
the VM to handle missing method dictionaries or something of that sort.
Hmm, that doesn't actually sound much like instance based stuff, does
it? Oh, maybe - it does make it possible to intercept the method lookup
and do whatever you want in the image. Senility is a wonderful thing...

Those who can, do.  Those who cannot, teach.  Those who cannot teach, HACK!