Squeak Amp won't load on 3.2a #4599

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Fri Dec 14 00:51:09 UTC 2001

Bob Hartwig wrote:

> John,
>
> I haven't loaded SqueakAmp on my Linux box, but here's a guess as to what
> may be happening.  The postscript code of the GUI changeset opens
> SqueakAmpMorph, and the first time this happens, it will populate the
> "Available" file list by recursively descending the current working
> directory.

Thanks Bob. The issue seems to be that (and this is pretty normal
practice amongst Linux folk) I have my Windows directory mounted on my
home (Linux) partition: that way I can use decent tools to edit stuff in
Windows without the horror of actually having to boot into it. With the
partition unmounted, SqueakAmp loads OK, but, of course, all my
"entertainment" files, my Mpegs, mp3s, jpegs and such are on the Windows
side! I'm currently waiting for the file list to refresh having
re-mounted the Windows partition. But at least it loads!

Such is life

>Is it possible that you're starting squeak from a directory
> that takes a long time to descend, or is it otherwise hanging while
> descending?  To test this theory, stub out SquekAmpPlaylist>>allFiles or
> SqueakAmpPlaylist>>allDiskObjects , and see if it comes up without hanging.
>
> By the way, you also need to make sure the MPEG plugin works on your Squeak
> install before you can hope for SqueakAmp to work.

Cheers

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211