fetchClassOf & commonSend?

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Fri Dec 14 16:22:53 UTC 2001

John,

> Total time = 257118 milliseconds.  (your changes plus use
> lowres 1/60 timer)
> versus
> Total time = 260310 milliseconds.  (3.2.1B4 I sent out
> yesterday to testers)
> versus
> Total time = 290056 milliseconds. (your changes but using the
> high res timer)
>
> So it's more like 1% better for me under OS-X I'll look at classic
> mac later, but this seems like a ok change to make.

Interesting. I expected that something like this might happen (that's why I
wanted some feedback). The logic used is deliberately simple (e.g., there is
no call to ioLowResMSecs() at all) and some improvement could _probably_ be
made here. However, considering that complexity is an issue I am highly
uncertain if it's worthwhile doing the change. The current logic works well
and for all cases. Even the simple logic I used requires at least some
understanding about typical timing behavior when writing a primitive. If
it's not really gaining anything in general (and 1% doesn't really count)
then I'd probably leave it out.

Cheers,
  - Andreas