Fwd: Full garbage collection throughtout the system.

Scott A Crosby crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu
Sat Dec 15 00:02:06 UTC 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Andreas Raab wrote:

> John,
>
> >  These cases should be rare.
>
> Not in FileStream - the open primitive is used in #isAFileNamed: and will
> force GCs if the file not exists (ouch!). I've posted a fix to Squeak list
> (for people to try out before I post it into the update stream).

Will you also be putting your earlier fix into the update stream? (The one
where you do an incrGC and a tenure when the root-table gets close to
being full; BTW, I've since looked at that code again; I'd misread the
algorithm, and no longer think that it'll cause a huge problem in my
codebase, but the fix should probably still go in.)

I'm also thinking about altering incrgc, so that if the incrGC frees up
low percentage of the bytes in the heap (say, under X), we immediately
tenure. The idea is to catch mad or large allocations and tenure them.)

Let X=100% - .5*(#tenure-threshold/#allocs between GC's)

Or, 75% in the stock image,

With this, for example, if you allocate a single 200k array, it'll be
tenured into oldspace almost immediately.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Scott

--
No DVD movie will ever enter the public domain, nor will any CD. The last CD
and the last DVD will have moldered away decades before they leave copyright.