Failure Modes of Networking Tools?

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Tue Dec 18 13:08:57 UTC 2001

So, I was browsing along happily in Scamper when I loaded up a website
that seemed to confuse it.  Afterwards, I was unable to load ANY
website.  Checking further, I noted that name resolution was freezing
without return for domains that should have worked fine.

So, just to be sure, I saved the image, checked networking on the
machine itself.  All was well.

Restarted the image, same deal.  Network installed OK, and the
NetNameResolver reported status 1 (ready).  But a simple netname
resolution failed again by freezing.

So I took a safety play and restarted the machine.  Same deal.

Tried a fresh image, all was well.

So the problem appears network related and image-specific.  How can I
fix the old image?  I'm not sure what even to check.  Any thoughts?