UnCool Squeak Icons on OS-X...

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Tue Dec 18 17:16:17 UTC 2001

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Tim Rowledge wrote:
>
> > "Jochen F. Rick" wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd go with Tim's Logo to stay consistent, though a Squeakland wheelmouse
> > > would be excellent for the plug-in VM.
> >
> > Definitely; IIRC the original problem seemed to be mostly one of the
> > lines appearing too thin when the image was reduced. If this is in fact
> > the case, the person with the problem might like to contact me and I can
> > generate one with suitable line thicknesses.
>
> I bet you can get good results with a bit of GIMP trickery ... See
> attached a 16x16 version. I don't think you would need to get any smaller,
> if so, some manual "pixeling" would be required.

Bert's one works pretty well (if anything, it's "too" small, but easy
enough for anyone to generate a 20x20 -- or maybe even 24x24 version).

But really there are (I think) three seperate issues here:

1.	I have a problem with the Squeak logo being too like the Gimp logo
(both are friendly furry animals, both are on a white ground). With the
"tiny" taskbar setting in Kde, this leads to a lot of mislaunches, which
is why I experimented with Squeakland's "wheel-mouse" logo (although it
is another furry animal, making the ground transparent helped). I was
_never_ proposing this as a global change, and although I like Je77's
idea, I tend to launch the browser plugin/image/VM from the command
line.

2.	Of course, the Kde issue is that the taskbar should be able to
display icons to match its large, normal and tiny sizes. This can either
be done by having large, normal and tiny versions of the logo, or by
having one which can re-size OK. I think this latter might be difficult
with Tim's logo and its descendents. (That's to say, if it looks good
big, it won't look good small, and vice versa). Let's see, the size of
the tiny ones is 16x16 (but they need to be a bit bigger if they have a
white background), the normal ones are 32x32, the large ones are 48x48.

3.	I've no idea where this leaves people who use the 10 or so other
desktops available to the free *nix community! I'd be inclined to say
that we've got the world's best image manipulation tool and are such an
idiosyncratic bunch of hooligans that we can look after ourselves.
Still, it's nice to see what people are using (hence the page on
minnow).

Cheers

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211