UnCool Squeak Icons on OS-X...

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 02:05:51 UTC 2001

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> is widely believed to have written:
>
> > I bet you can get good results with a bit of GIMP trickery ... See
> > attached a 16x16 version. I don't think you would need to get any smaller,
> > if so, some manual "pixeling" would be required.
> I still aven't heard exactly how big a sprite is needed; I have 32x32,
> 48x48 & 64x64 versions on my squeak page already, but could do a 20x20
> or whatever easily enough (although it gets really hard to make an
> intelligable picture much below 32x32).

This way lies madness! But a 20x20 should work OK as the small one for
Kde. (Doing it with a transparent background should/might help, but
don't do it on my account: I'm happy with the wheel-mouse). I'm still
trying to figure out how Kde works on this level: what I observe is that
when the taskbar is re-sized, some icons actually change (there are
mini, normal and large versions of several, if not all), while user
selected ones just try to re-size (big ones will shrink, small ones will
not grow). (There must be some way of registering the damn things, but
the documentation -- at least for 1.1.2 -- lurches all over the place.)

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211