Source Forge Changes for 3.2.1

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Dec 19 06:06:59 UTC 2001

Rob Withers <rwithers12 at mediaone.net> is widely believed to have written:

> Hi John,
>
> Do you know if 'releasing' a vm source tree, on source forge, allows us to
> download a zip of a particular version level?  This might be easier for
> many people than having to setup a CVS client.   We could get the whole
> thing in one download from the website.
As it stands right now the SourceForge site is set up to support
VMMaker; ie there is a filetree that VMMaker uses to mix handwritten
code with generated code.

It would be quite possible to also support a tree with the _results_ of
doing a VMMaker run on each 'official' release, but nobody has bothered
yet. I'm not sure it has any serious value though; why would you want to
build a vm but not have the toolset for making changes? I'm assuming
that one would want sources in order to change them... is there another
reason? Sometimes people think quite differently to me, so I may have
missed something here.

It might seem a lot of work to get a CVS client setup, install VMMaker
and then use it, but you only have to do the first two parts once and
then generating VMs is easy. (As Rob already knows, since he has been
using VMMaker for ages)

I guess one thing that would potentially simplify things a little would
be if SF can create a zip file of the latest release bits. Then one
would not need to sort out CVS.

tim

Useful random insult:- Calling her stupid would be an insult to stupid people.