slurping pages from minnow... [was: Re: Source Forge Changes for 3.2.1]

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Thu Dec 20 02:54:23 UTC 2001

> Or just the timestamp (last changed) of an arbitrary page: isn't this a
> feature of the Http protocol (browsers normally just fetch changed pages)?
> This would be cheaper...

Well, there's the "If-Modified-Since" HTTP client header, which tells the
server to return a 304 result code if the content is older than the date
specified.

This is easy to do if the pages are static - just use the file date - but a
little tougher for dynamically generated pages, and I'm not sure Swiki
properly stamps the pages with the modification date nor processes the
If-Modified-Since header.

But what I *think* was being proposed (if I parsed the original mail
correctly) was a request that could be made to the server for the
modification date of the last modified page (ie. have *any* pages been
modified) before polling individual pages.  Perhaps a better way to do this
is to do a request for a list of pages modified since a particular date that
returns a 304 if the provided date is more recent.

-- Duane