[GOODIE] TestMaker

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri Dec 21 19:27:08 UTC 2001

A few blessed voices have been heard about adding more tests to the
image. Unfortunately, our system is a little biased against this -
* There's no really trivial way to post a Test.
* SUnit is new - we're not that well versed making them.
* If you're coding an ENH or Goodie, you're somewhat likely not to feel
very militant about finding bugs in it right away, you're too happy the
darned things works.

In the tradition of proposing things that create work for other people,
but maybe people will like it:
* Add a small, simple tool for adding tests, and a button for mailing
them to the list. The hack attached below is an initial implementation.
* Add a fast track in the harvesting process for tests. There are
various reasons to do this -
 - A test is usually trivial to integrate, so it should be pretty easy.
 - Then people can easily submit this sort of report in an effective way
that'll stick a red light in everyone's eyes until it's fixed.
 - Then the Fix category of mails can have a very simple definition
(Fixes CelesteTestCase>>mumbleMumble) which would make *them* easier to
integrate too.
 - People would have a good expectation that a test will be put in the
image and then promptly fixed. This will encourage reporting bugs in the
best way known, which should help quality...
* Simply submit Tests instead of complaining, like Stef did. If a few
more people do this, others will have lots of examples to learn how to
write good tests, which is a potential good causality loop.

from preamble:

"Change Set:		TestMaker
Date:			21 December 2001
Author:			Daniel Vainsencher

This changeset replaces print-it with a test creation utility. Select
something that raises an exception or returns the wrong answer, answer a
few questions, and voila, a new test.

Doesn't do error checking, and it should offer to create a new test
class or select from the existing ones, and offer to mail the test right
off to the list.

If someone posts tests and it helps them do it, I'll polish this scrap
into an ENH..."!