Newbie questions about managing code

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri Dec 21 20:15:16 UTC 2001

These are my two strange ways of managing code I care about -
* Send it to the list. Go to the Chage List, and instead of file out, do
"mail to the list". It's an interesting storage medium - it's
distributed, has multiple access paths (all messages with subject
prefixed [ENH], [Goodie] or [Fix] are picked up and stored on a special
page, for example), is backed up, searchable, and sometimes people
benefit by it. Of course this requires at least some potential
usefulness for whatever it is...
* I maintain the Squeak port of the Refactoring Browser, which is made
of several packages, and lots of code that should be accessible for
people to download. SCAN is a very nice repository I use by Hans-Martin
Mosner. You can start by browsing -
http://squeak.heeg.de:8080/Squeak/Packages/Refactoring%20Browser/Squeak%
20RB
It has a nice Squeak client too. You can keep some/all of your code
private to your machine, or post it to the server, as you wish. I like
it much.

Daniel