Opening cross-platform images

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Dec 28 01:24:08 UTC 2001

Eric Scharff wrote:

> > 1.  Create an image that OS X Carbon Squeak will open.  Inside Squeak do
> > save as and save the image under the name you would like to copy from your
> > "foreign" file server.
> >
> > 2.  Copy the "foreign" image to some temp directory under Mac OS X.  (This
> > step can be omitted if you're using NFS or some other file system for which
> > the following command will work directly.)
> >
> > 3.  At the shell, overwrite .image and .changes files you made in step 1 by
> > dd'ing them from the files you made in step 2.
>
> To me, this sounds like Mac file type / creator code issues,  The Mac
> prior to OS X stores meta-data about the types of files.  This allows
> files to maintain their type without requiring a specific file extension
> (as Windows does.)

Yes, we know this. :-)  The frustrating thing is that there isn't a
simpler way in OS X (or OS 9 or any other Mac OS) to fix the file type
problem for files downloaded from other operating systems, etc.

OS X actually comes close to handling this reasonably... if you
double-click on the raw downloaded .image icon, it will prompt you with
a dialog to select an application to run.  So, we should be able to
select the appropriate VM from this dialog, and all will be well, right?
 Wrong, it only seems to let you select an application with the
appropriate matching file type (which the VM does not match), and the
dialog doesn't offer any option to view "all files" or similar.  AARGH!
(Memo to myself: Must punish the person responsible for this "feature".)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com