Building Linux VM with VMMaker from sourceforge CVS

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 28 22:46:56 UTC 2001

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 11:12:59PM +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Josh,
>
> > I can see how what I wrote above might be misinterpreted.
> > Here is exactly what I did:
> >
> > -generate src/ with VMMaker (do chmod a+x, etc.)
> > -tried to build; got error described above
> >
> > -rm -fr src
> > -generate src with VMMaker (do chmod a+x, etc.)
> > -mv src origsrc
> > -cp -r origsrc src
> > -tried to build; did not get error described above
> >
> > I verified that the directories src/ and origsrc/ are the same with
> > "diff -r".  When I try:
> > -rm -fr src
> > -mv origsrc src
> > -try to build
> >
> > the error pops up again.  Wierd.
>
> Not weird at all. First of all, does "../src/src/Makefile.in" exist? I bet
> it doesn't.

Lucky guess.  Oh wait, that's what the error message told us ;-)

> If not, then there's a simple way to get the error through using
> cp:
> 	- cp -r origsrc src
> 	- 'touch' the make file causing the problem like in:
> 		find . -name Makefile -exec touch {}\;
> 	- try to build
> I bet it's the modification stamp of some Makefile wrt to some other file
> that (by chance) gets a different stamp with cp (mv is moving files and
> keeping the dates but cp is creating new ones and thus modifying the date).

Hmm.  That make some sense.  I still insist that it's weird, tho'; I've never
seen a Makefile created by configure that re-invokes configure.  Since Makefile
is generated, it may be an interaction between timestamps of some other files.
I tried touching a few, but was unable to replicate the behavior.  Then boredom
set in, and I quit.

> (NB: If I'm not totally wrong here, why would it be a misinterpretation to
> point out that Make is just complaining about a non-existing file?! ;-)

I thought that I didn't make it clear that I was doing the exact same thing
with two copies of the same source tree; the reason I though that was your
hypothesis that "something was wrong with my base directory".

Thanks for the help,
Joshua