Delete key and two-button mouse on Linux

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Feb 15 16:40:22 UTC 2001

On Thursday 15 February 2001 04:58, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 ajh18 at cornell.edu wrote:
> > It would be nice if Squeak 3.0 on Linux had the following default
> > behavior:
> > 	Delete key (not backspace) deleted to the right instead of left, and
>
> Remove this lines in sqXWindow.c (two occurences):
>
>   if (charCode == 127)
>     charCode= 8;
>
> > 	The right button on a two-button mouse triggered yellow button activity
> > (menu) instead of the blue button activity (halos).
>
> See http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/1351.html

Thanks for the plug!

> > Hopefully, someone who knows how to do this can get this into the 3.0
> > release in time.
>
> Well, I don't really know why Ian explicitely reconfigures the delete
> key ... It's the first line I always remove in my sqXWindow.c.

It happens to work for me, as I have my Delete key put out a 127 (stty -a
reports erase=^?). Control-Delete gives me forward delete, as does my Del
key; Delete gives me backspace, and control-H does a forward delete.

Under X, you have Backspace, Delete, and Remove keys.
But there are also the ASCII key equivalents (127, 8, various escape
sequences, etc.).

My feeling is that the X definition of the keys should be used, not the ASCII
translations (at least for non-character keys).

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com