Squeak/linux/iPaq display speed

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 20 02:09:01 UTC 2001

> > Keep in mind that this is _still_ with an unoptimized VM...the handhelds folks
> > haven't updated the toolchain yet to a compiler that can handle doing
> > optimizations. :(
>
>   This might be the case that the optimizer cannot do much
> because the operation is so memory intensive.  It could be
> 3-10% speed up? (just a wild guess)
The optimizer ought to roughly double the trivial benchmark performance
when it can be re-enabled, scaling from the performance of the two
NetWinders I can access. The problem appears to be that the optimizer
creates a code sequence with a store-multiple-float-register instruction
that is no longer accepted by the FP emulator. The same code on a NW
with an old kernel/distro is quite happy. :-(
However, as you say the particular operation in question here is
terribly memory bandwidth dependent and the SA1110 has only a 16Kb cache
to help it - unless possibly someone has enabled use of the mini-cache
intended to help exactly this sort of thing.

tim

Useful random insult:- Four bits short of a full DEC.