[updates] 85 new ones / Fast-track beta / Please test

Jesse Welton jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Thu Feb 1 20:09:01 UTC 2001

Doug Way wrote:

> Jesse Welton wrote:
> >
> > Doug Way wrote:
> > >
> > > The only small plug I would make would be to include Jesse Welton's
> > > LayoutFix changeset posted earlier today, which is sort of a bug
> > > fix.
> >
> > Besides addressing (some of) the conceptual problems with SystemWindow
> > layout, it also fixes a concrete layout bug in the FileContentsBrowser
> > and Celeste.  In these windows, the bottom pane stuck out below the
> > window frame.  So I think it's more than "sort of a bug fix".  It
> > fixes a honest-to-goodness behavioral bug.
>
> (Actually, it looks like someone else already fixed the
> FileContentsBrowser in 3278.  But Celeste was not fixed, and neither
> was Scamper, so you've still got 2 concrete fixes to your credit. :) )

I hadn't yet had the opportunity to try the latest changes.  Nor had I
known about any problem with Scamper layout.  There must be some sort
of conservation principle at work here...  :)

> If SqC doesn't have a strong opinion on this, I would tend to just
> go with offsets.  I believe that LayoutFrames in VisualWorks are
> always treated as offsets, but I'm not positive... it would be worth
> checking.  (As far as the object conversion goes, wouldn't a single
> pass through LayoutFrames allInstances take care of it?  You
> wouldn't have to check for class version or anything.  Or is the
> problem that you only want to convert the LayoutFrames that are in
> SystemWindows, or vice versa?)

The tricky bit is making sure that instances are converted when an
image segment is loaded, that was saved from a pre-conversion image.
At the same time, you must ensure that the post-conversion instances
are not erroneously negated again.  That's where the class version
check comes in.  I think I've actually got it working now; I just have
to check against the latest changes.

-Jesse