[updates] 5 more for 3.1

Scott Wallace Scott.Wallace at disney.com
Tue Feb 6 22:23:30 UTC 2001

Hi, Doug,

Yes, the intent of the "Restore All System Defaults" button is
exactly that -- to revert all preferences to their "standard initial
state."

But what is that standard initial state?  It is whatever we come out
of the box with in the real 3.0.  As we work toward agreeing on the
"real 3.0" settings, we will be able to keep pace with the current
theory of what those standard initial settings should be by hitting
that Restore Defaults button.

The defaults you see in today's image are just a first cut at those
settings; we are still in active debate about what those settings
should be.

So what are people's opinions on whether #scrollBarsNarrow should be
true or false?

   -- Scott

PS:  it would be a simple matter for someone to add two buttons to
the new help pane of the Preferences panel that would let you save
all your preference settings to a file, and restore such settings
from such a file.  Simply writing the FlagDictionary to a
ReferenceStream on a file would do the trick, for example.  Or one
might want to get slightly more comprehensive and package up various
other user-configuration choices into the file as well, such as font
settings, default screen depth, author initials, default Author name,
etc.

PPS:  It would also be easy enough to add controls to the Preferences
Panel that started to support "Skins".  One skin might be "Classic
Smalltalk-80" -- quite possibly the out-of-box experience of 3.0 in
fact -- and another might reflect the style of use of have the
optional panes turned on, "smart updating" in force, flaps showing,
etc.