Project layout

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 28 02:20:28 UTC 2001

Jesse Welton <jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
> Pardon my negativity, but that doesn't solve the issue at all.  It
> just moves the problem from screens of different pixel extents to
> screens of different physical sizes.  So even with the high resolution
> and scaling graphics, it's still hard.  (Not that the scaling graphics
> doesn't have benefits in other areas, of course.)

At least with monitor sizes, you only need to have a monitor that is big
enough--if your monitor is bigger than the sender's, you'll be fine.
With resolution changes, however, it can actually be a detriment to run
your machine at a higher, uh, pitch--if you try to view something
created at a lower pitch, then everything will be small!

I imagine that, just as with paper, certain sizes will become common.  I
also kinda expect that people won't frequently want to take over your
whole monitor.  If someone sends me an interesting electronic book, why
can't I plop it on my desktop amidst all my other rubish if I so choose?

-Lex