Delete key and two-button mouse on Linux

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Mon Feb 19 01:42:17 UTC 2001

I wrote:

	> I strongly suggest that the UNIX VM should take a peek at the user's
	> stty settings.  If it's "stty erase '^H'" then whatever key(s) send BS
	> should act as leftward delete (and DEL can be rightward delete).  If
	> it's "stty erase '^?'" then whatever key(s) send DEL should act as
	> leftward delete (and BS can be rightward delete).

"Bert" wrote.
	I don't see why that should be necessary.

So that Squeak is compatible with the user's habits, is why.

	It's somewhat funny to look at stty settings in an X program, isn't it?

Why?  They tell you what keys the user likes to use for what purpose.

	Why wouldn't a Squeak preference be sufficient?

Because finding preferences is a daunting task for newbies (read: people
with several years of computing experience on several environments but as
yet less than one year of Squeak) let alone changing them, and the way you
save your preferences (by saving a whole new Squeak image) is a little
surprising for many people.

It would be one less piece of complexity/inconsistency for Squeak users to
have to deal with.