`just slow it`....

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Sat Feb 10 03:54:44 UTC 2001

Marcel,

Might this actually reflect problems with MacOS-X scheduling?

Assuming that it works a bit like X on Unix (although I know
the graphics display is more like DIsplay Postscript than X),
then there could be a problem with the display manager process
and the Squeak process fighting for CPU cycles. In this case,
increasing the inter-cycle pause time might actually help, since
Squeak would relinquish more cycles to the display manager.

You might try running the standard Mac VM under Carbon and see
if that makes any difference. If you have an old 2.8 (pre-events)
image around, it would also be interesting to see how that runs
under various VM's. I'd like to know if the problems are limited
to a particular VM or image.

I'm assuming that you're not running some CPU hog application
like an MP3 compressor while you're running Squeak, that power
saving modes are disabled if this in on a laptop, etc.

I've been running many combinations of VM and image under
Mac OS 8.1 on an older 292 MHz G3 laptop, and performance
is basically fine. John Macintosh has been doing some tuning
to get the last once of responsiveness out of it, but even
the less optimum VM's don't have the problems you are seeing.
(Which sound awful!)

	-- John