YOU CAN HELP [was: Re: New 3.0 gamma image available for test]

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Thu Feb 15 22:42:58 UTC 2001

Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote...
>Here's my feedback on the latest 3.0gamma2 image.
>I tested on Windows 2000, with the Windows alpha3 VM.

Many thanks for your careful pass over the 3.0gamma2 image.
Many of these I can tweak pretty easily, but I'm way short on time.
Squeakers please note *** places where I could use help.

>The "Worlds of Squeak" project with the circles is very cool.  The Squeak mouse logo is fun to play with, too, and a good thing to have on the first screen.  The collapse/expand buttons on all the titlebars look good now.

***If anyone comes forward with a similar Squeak logo whose eyes follow the mouse, I will put it in.

Meanwhile, I'll add balloon help explaining Squeak/Flash and suggesting rotation/scaling.

>Must-have fixes:
>Really-ought-to-have fixes:

I think i can handle these.

>Nice-to-have fixes:
>- "Search Preferences for:" in preferences window does a weird re-centering every time you move over the entry field after opening a prefs window.  (Centering of this and the buttons isn't accurate with respect to the window, either.)

***If anyone can fix this, I'd appreciate it.

>- "Subscript out of bounds" error in Chinese Checkers game if you try to make an illegal move.

***If anyone can fix this, I'd appreciate it.

>- It's easy to get zero-divide walkback playing the mouse logo morph on the main screen, if you resize the height or width to zero.

***If anyone can fix this, I'd appreciate it.

>- Changing the color of the extra-bright Welcome to... window would be nice (see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/squeak/message/23778 for a quickie fix).  (If we really want the Welcome window to be green, make it the more pleasant green of the Getting Started window, and switch Getting Started to a non-green color.)

I'll see.

>- A coworker of mine was trying out the 3.0 image, and complained that "The Net" project introduces interesting concepts such as the SuperSwiki and Nebraska, but doesn't have a link to start them up, or even describe how to access them.  I suppose this may be partly because they're not totally ready for prime time yet?  But still, at least a button to get to the SuperSwiki would be nice.  (And the Squeak Swiki link near the top of this page also points to the old, outdated SqueakDoc page, if you actually click on it.  AAARGH!!!  Shoot me now! :) )

***If anyone offers an improved version along these lines, I'll try to get it in.

>- It would be kind of nice to have an intro project somewhere about development tools in Squeak, showing things people might not know to try.  It could have a a browser or two open (one with button/annotation panes), the method finder, maybe a TimeProfileBrowser, etc.  (It could also include the window from Jesse Welton's PreferencesIntroduction.003 project, or a link to the project.)  Generally, I think we more seasoned Squeakers tend to take the development environment for granted, but a lot of people looking at Squeak for the first time may be new to Smalltalk too.  I think most people trying out Squeak 3.0 at this point will have at least some familiarity with programming in general, and the development tools are in many ways more impressive than, say, the stuff in "The Net" project, IMHO. (partly because the Nebraska/SuperSwiki stuff isn't hooked up in "The Net" project yet)

In fact we had planned to have a project with windows, menus and halos, and a sub-project on developement tools.  But everyone at SqC is currently focussed on other work, so we elected to put the games in place of that, and use the "stepping stone" to cover these topics.

***If anyone sends me something great (simple but useful) in the next 24 hours, I'll try to put it in.

>Um, I guess that's about it.  Maybe putting out one last 3.0 gamma3 image for testing might be good, if there's time.

I'll try to do a cycle tonight.

***Best way to send some of these would be to 'save project on file' and mail it to me (not the whole list).  I can't guarantee to include any of it, but I'll try.

Thanks in advance for anything people feel like doing.

	- Dan