Independent window (Re: Native GUI Squeak?)

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Sun Feb 18 16:09:06 UTC 2001

Rick --

Another way of phrasing what you seem to be saying is: These
newfangled things called airplanes are different from the trains I'm
used to. Why can't they be the same? A better question might be: what
is the tradeoff between learning and power here? Wouldn't it be wierd
to avoid airplanes simply because they are not like the trains you
are used to? Isn't there something in being able to move from A to B
about 10 times as fast?

The other point, again, is that this is an Open Souce system and
community. You have a perfect right to make a version of Squeak that
does exactly what you want for whatever reason. But we and the
community are not vendors and we aren't selling Squeak. Many of us
are trying to work towards something better than what you are
familiar with.

Look at the golden nav bar at the bottom of your Squeak window are
try "Escape From Browser", this will take you full screen regardless
of whether you are in a browser or a window. Now you are in a
different world that has different properties. Some needed things
aren't there, but there are many things in the world that are much
more powerful that the world you are used to. Try it out....

Cheers,

Alan