Easy on the icons! (was Re: Native GUI Squeak?)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sat Feb 17 23:24:00 UTC 2001

On 17 Feb 2001, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> In fact, I should experiment with the halos... I suspect I'd have a
> better time if each halo bubble was one or two letters ("M" or "MN"
> tells me more than a little icon of a menu, for example).

And I did try so badly to come up with "meaningfull" icons. You know,
there was a time when the halos were only colored. How long would you have
stared on *that* until you figure out that "blue" means "rotate"?  :-)

IMO an interface should allow to safely experiment. You just click a halo
handle and you *feel* what it does. That's much better for learning
than help bubbles.

-- Bert