Doc on the VM translation to C?

Robert Feldt feldt at ce.chalmers.se
Tue Feb 6 17:05:58 UTC 2001

Dear Squeak'ers,

I wonder if there is any documentation on the translation of the Squeak VM
to C? I've read the BTF paper but find it a bit terse on the actual
transformations/translation rules used.

I guess you'll point me to the sources but I'm not very fluent in
Smalltalk (I'm coming to it from a Ruby background) so I'd appreciate any
paper(s) with technical detail on the translation.

How complex is the translation? Is it like a Smalltalk-to-C compiler
preserving some or most of the Smalltalk semantics or is it more like C
written in a Smalltalk syntax?

Best regards,

Robert Feldt
feldt at ce.chalmers.se