[GOODIE] ZipViewer and Archive-Zip (new and improved) -- fixed Archive-Zip

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Feb 25 18:24:36 UTC 2001

On Sunday 25 February 2001 10:08, Karl Ramberg wrote:

> I tested the previous version and the number of walkbacks was staggering,
> so I did not know what to bug report.
> It all seems fixed now :-)

Yes, sorry. I wasn't initializing the pool dictionary early enough, so there
were a number of constants that didn't work right. You might also do

	Smalltalk cleanOutUndeclared

and inspect Undeclared to make sure it's fixed.

> This tool does not recognise Squeak gzipped files .gz
> Is it hard to add these ?

Probably not.

I've made space (in Archive) for other kinds of archives. It'll take a bit of
refactoring. My plan was to add Tar archives at some point. That should be
easy. Unfortunately, support for .tar.gz  (compressed Tar) archives would
require multiple passes through the decompression to be able to extract
individual files -- one pass to get the members built, then for each member,
a scan through all the compressed data to the member start. Compressed tar
files are so ugly compared to zip files...

The problem with .gz files is that they're a degenerate form of archive: they
can only hold one file! So the viewer would have to enquire of the archive
whether adding was possible.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA