"Rio Ancho " - Paco de Lucia

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Wed Feb 21 10:06:26 UTC 2001

Alek Markarian wrote:

>  And is there anyone who know
> the sound of Smalltalk or Squeak ?- if  bytecode is
> represented by sounds or amplitude modulated possibly
> we will heard the sound of execution of a method - it
> is strange that a musician give to the world the dominating
> Visual metaphor ( - it is even more strange that i ask
> that question - i don't understand nothing from music ) .

Regarding the sound of program execution: In the era of minicomputers, you could
hear it through a suitably tuned radio receiver placed near the machine. I've heard
that some people could interpret the sounds and would know what their program was
doing at the moment. This could in fact help debugging in certain cases. But I
think this is not your point here :-) And as a musician I would refrain from
calling that music...
Anyway, I think that music has a lot to do with programming. Orchestrating the
events so that they happen in the right order to 'feel natural' is very similar in
both domains. Especially when you're actively playing improvised music (I've been
playing rock guitar and jazz trombone) it's a fantastic feeling when you get into
the 'flow' of the music. And it's the same feeling that I get when I'm in the
'flow' of some programming task. The programming is just happening, it's not
something that I simply do but something in which I play a part.
This style of programming is (of course :-) best accomplished with Smalltalk,
because that environment gives the immediate feedback telling you whether you're on
the right track or not. Much like improvised music, where my bandmates would
indicate when I should shut up :-)

Cheers, and thanks for bringing up that topic...
Hans-Martin