optional panes out-of-the-box, and other preferences

Jesse Welton jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Tue Feb 6 14:06:31 UTC 2001

Scott Wallace wrote:

> My sense is that many people do prefer to use these panes if they
> know about them.  [...]  So my inclination is to
> have the ancillary panes showing by default.  Certainly anyone who
> proactively did *not* want them would have no difficulty in turning
> them off in Preferences.

This is certainly true.  Another possibility just occurred to me, as
well: Squeak could use an introduction to the preferences, in which
the most commonly used preferences are briefly described.

> Everyone with opinions to register regarding the out-of-box settings
> of these two preferences, or those of any other preference,
> parameter, project color, default object size, default font, etc.:
> this would be a good time to make yourselves heard.

I would like the optional button frames and browser instance/?/class
switch buttons to be shorter, say 20 pixels instead of 25.  (Hmm, that
actually doesn't look so great on the optional button pane, so maybe
cancel that part.)

-Jesse