Comanche vs PWS, ConnQueue vs ConnHandler

Bolot Kerimbaev bolot at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Feb 9 01:18:40 UTC 2001

Mark Guzdial encouraged me to run some performance tests on Comanche.
One of the disputable items was a choice of ConnectionHandler, which
looks very much like ConnectionQueue, except that it dispatches a
server immediately upon receiving a connection.

I ran some tests (at this time using ab utility from Apache, will use
STOMP next time), and the results are presented here:

http://shark-nt.cc.gatech.edu/kom-notebook/1

Please let me know what you think.

In brief, CQueue has a larger overhead than CHandler, which is evident
at small payload sizes (and virtually vanishes at 1 MB page size).
PWS (the good-old, in the stock 2.8 Squeak) performs very well on
serving very large single requests (1 MB pages pass by at 6.8 MBps vs
Comanche's 1.01 MBps).
Comanche still has stability issues when hit with concurrent requests
(ab's -c 2 or above command line switch), it freezes the image, after
successfully passing the test (all 100 requests are successful).

The above page is my "lab notebook", not a new general swiki.

Bolot