Project layout

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Tue Feb 27 23:05:21 UTC 2001

Alan Kay <Alan.Kay at disney.com> wrote:
	But most paper notepads
	or xeroxed papers are 8.5*11 with not all the boundary pixels used,
	so my calculation covers this physical size.

"Most"?  I haven't seen any notepads that weren't in metric sizes since
I left California >10 years ago.  I could probably still lay my hands on
a Quarto or Foolscap pad if I searched my parents' home, but it has been
A4 here for lo! these many years, as it is almost everywhere.

I am fed up to the back teeth with programs like Acrobat Reader that
start up *every* time offering a paper size ("Letter") that is about
as common in this country as unicorn feathers.  (Nor will it accept
"mm", "cm", "centimetres", or even "centimeters" in place of "inches"
for *PageUnits in ~/.acrorc.)

What I want in a screen is room for two A4 pages side by side with at least
a 1cm gap between them and another 1.5cm strip around the edge.  And if the
screen is big enough to suit the paper sizes peculiar to the US as well,
that'd be nice too.